What does the new energy efficient regulation mean for landlords?
In April 2018 the Minimum Energy Efficiency Standard was introduced – this meant that landlords were unable to rent properties to new tenants unless the property had an energy efficiency rating of at least an E on its Energy Performance Certificate (EPC).
The new regulation means this will be extended to all existing tenants, not just new renters. So, any rental properties that have an F or G-rating will no longer be considered a legal let. Landlords are expected to pay up to £3,500 towards improving the homes energy efficiency – for example, by purchasing and installing a new boiler.
There’s opportunity to apply for exemption for anything over the £3,500, but if a landlord refuses to adhere to the regulation, there will be a civil penalty of up to £4,000.
What does the new legislation mean for tenants?
This means your landlord cannot issue a renewal of an existing tenancy agreement, until work has been completed.
If work has been done, you should ask to see a full copy of the Energy Performance Certificate before agreeing to either rent the existing property or a new property - this is a legal requirement and landlords will be fined for not showing you when asked.
If no action is taken by your landlord and the home is still F or G rated, then as a last resort you need to get in touch with your local Council. Under housing health & safety rules they are obliged to help tenants in dangerously cold homes.
Overall, this is a positive change for tenants as your rented home will now be more energy efficient.
Spread the cost with our flexible payment plans – no upfront cost
Our plans consist of:
- Interest free credit - Spread the cost with no interest to pay
- Buy Now Pay Later - Purchase the boiler now and pay it back in 12 months time.
- Flexible Monthly Plan - With no deposit options and an APR of 6.9%.
- One off payment - Buy a new boiler with a lump sum cash price
Each plan offers unique opportunities and can be personalised in the comfort of your own home.
We will liaise with your tenants
Great news, as soon as you purchase the boiler you don’t have to be the middleman anymore.
Just let your tenants know our customer service team will be in touch to install the boiler on a date that’s perfect for their schedule – taking all of the pressure off you.
And we’ll service your boiler each year
Landlords listen up, we offer an annual boiler service as well as a gas safety inspection to cover your CP12 - we've got you covered.
You can choose to receive a one-off service or sign up to a monthly service plan to make it even more affordable, and be notified when your boiler service is due.
Landlord care plans
Want more than just a boiler warranty? We offer boiler breakdown cover to protect your entire central heating system against any unforeseen & expensive repairs. With our all-inclusive care plans, you’ll have complete peace of mind knowing we’ve got you covered no matter what happens. Plus, every care plan comes with a free annual boiler service.
Our boiler cover packages consist of:
- Boiler Service Plan - Our service plan takes away the worry & helps spreads the cost of an annual service.
- Gold Plan- Boiler cover that that comes with 3 call-outs per year, a Gas Safety Certificate & Landlords Gas Safety Record (LGSR).
- Platinum Plan - Full central heating cover that comes with all of the above plus unlimited call outs, parts included and zero excess to pay.
- Boiler Plan Plus Plan - Already have a boiler warranty? Then get all of the above without boiler cover.
Discover what makes our boiler cover plans a step above the rest.
Service with a smile
Your happiness puts a smile on our face.